So here are the insects we have at our house:
- Cicadas. These are okay with me 🙂 I love listening to them “sing”. As a kid, my siblings and I used to collect their shells.
- Various spiders. Outside I let them be so they can kill pesky bugs. Inside I let them be as long as they aren’t somewhere I like to be: bed, couch, toilet, shower, etc.
- Paper wasps. Mud Daubers. These I loathe. I’m pretty terrified of them. EEEEEK!!!
- Stag beetles. We’ve only seen one and it was pretty darn big.
- Chiggers. MOST ANNOYING CREATURES EVER. They seem to live in random places in our yard so we’re avoiding playing outside nowadays. That and it’s way too hot out 🙂 Also, contrary to popular belief, nail polish does nothing for chiggers since they chew a hole in skin to suck out your guts and then let go. Before you even start itching…
- Fireflies 🙂 These are good! Magical at night 🙂
- Giant moths. Also super cool and good. Did you know moths don’t have mouths? And fly by scent? At least that’s what Barbara Kingsolver told me. If I remember correctly… Aren’t I great with facts???
- Cicada killers. These things are wicked cool, like an apocolypitc creature. Freaky cool.
- Ants. No tiny ones anymore. Just the random/odd biggish one scurrying across the floor. We tend to ignore them.
- Tomato caterpillars, aka Hornworms.
Don’t you love the way I included a link with info and pictures about each insect?? All part of my “Love Your Wildlife Creatures More” campaign for myself. I want my child to grow up with a healthy respect for insects, not a deranged fear like I have. I’m practicing my love of creepy crawlies 🙂
Btw- C took SIX STEPS TODAY!!!! All by himself 🙂 It was so cute I kinda had a spazz attack. ADORABLE. Now I’ll shut up 🙂